Availability and Hiring – Are We Hiring?
EMTs We ARE accepting applications for EMT positions at this time.
Paramedics We ARE accepting applications for Paramedic positions at this time
- Check back regularly for updates to our hiring status.
- You may apply at any time regardless of whether we are actively hiring as our hiring status can change at any time.
- Although our overall employee turnover rate is low, our continued growth as a company leads to us hiring new employees several times per year.
- See below in the “Instructions for Applicants and Job Seekers” for details and instructions on how applications will be handled.
Stephen Conley, Director of Operations
Email Stephen Conley or call (860) 647-9798 x247.
If you are applying for a position other than EMS provider or dispatcher please contact our Human Resources department at (860) 647-9798 x251.
Instructions for Applicants and Job Seekers
Thank you very much for seeking us out and wanting to be a part of our growing team! Due to the large volume of applications we receive we ask that you please take the following into consideration:
- Hiring of personnel is done on a rolling basis as additional employees are needed. We do not post job openings as our needs can change without notice; so please apply at any time.
- Please refrain from calling about open positions, hiring status, qualifications or the status of your application unless requested to or it is absolutely necessary to do so. After submission of an application, you can follow up on its status via email to the Director of Operations as listed above.
- Applications may be submitted in person, via email, by fax or by mail. Applicants should not expect a meeting or interview at the time of submission. Interviews will be arranged at a later date. When mailing please do not send applications by registered or certified mail.
- Whenever possible, please submit a copy of your CPR card and applicable EMS licenses and certifications with your application.
- Applications will be kept active for a period of time of no more than six months. You will receive a call or letter within a reasonable period after submission informing you of the status of your application. If you are declined you may re-apply again at any time after receipt of the letter.
- Health and Dental Insurance for full time employees working over thirty hours per week
- Competitive paid earned and sick time package
- Paid uniforms with semi-annual uniform allowances
- Company-paid life insurance coverage for full time employees
- Optional Short Time Disability coverage
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible work schedules (ideal for students)
- Various Continuing Education reimbursements
- Paid vacations
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Company will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by Connecticut or federal law.
Drug Free Workplace Statement
Aetna and ASM have zero tolerance for drug and/or alcohol abuse and is committed to maintaining a workplace free of use of illegal drugs and alcohol. Applicants for employment with the company are required to pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol screen and a physical examination. Employees remain subject to drug and alcohol testing for the duration of their employment in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
A physical agility test is required prior to employment.
The treatment and transport of patients in the hospital and out of hospital environment poses serious physical demands on workers in the ambulance industry. This is a physically challenging position involving the lifting of heavy patients on stretchers, ‘stair-chairs’, backboards, etc. You must be able to lift a 250-pound patient on a 75-pound stretcher into an ambulance with one partner.
Routine obstacles such as curbs, stairs and narrow hallways can prevent the stretcher from being rolled, thus requiring the ambulance crew to lift the entire weight of the patient and equipment. Furthermore, normal body weight distribution means that the worker at the patient’s head often carries 55-60% of the combined patient/equipment weight.
To reduce the risk of injuries to its employees and patients, the Ambulance Service of Macnhester has designed a physical performance test. This test is directly derived from EMS job functions that EMS Providers must perform when lifting and moving a 200 pound patient. This test, using specialized equipment is an accurate simulation of the flexibility, strength and endurance required to work on an ambulance.
ASM is a good place to learn and work.
ASM provides emergency and routine transportation and paramedic intercept services in the north central portion of Connecticut.
You must be over 21 years of age and available to work a variety of shifts including weekends, nights and holidays.
Students, homemakers and new EMS graduates are encouraged to apply. Reasonable flexibility in your schedule is a requirement of employment.
In addition to emergency care, ASM provides comprehensive routine transportation – which can range from BLS to critical ALS patients. ASM provides a variety of transfer services including dialysis, radiation, rehabilitation, psychiatric, and long distance transports. Patients can be transferred with any number of interventions, from simple medical monitoring to procedures as invasive as chest tubes, artificial ventilation and multiple medication infusions.
ASM is also often called upon to transport patients with supporting staff including patients-in-custody, critical pediatrics, med-flight crews, organ transplant crews, high risk obstetrics and patients with their family members.
Most shifts are 12 hours in length, but eight and ten hour shifts are available. There are also special shift assignments available for such services as long distance transfers, sports related and other event standbys and peak hour coverage. These events, combined with periodic open shifts, and “pager crews” offer numerous opportunities to accumulate hours, and often, overtime.
ASM offers career opportunities for experienced EMTs and Paramedics to use their skills as a member of our team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, ongoing training, recertification classes, and opportunities for advancement.
Career applicants must be at least 21 years of age at time of interview.
Complete and Submit